I am a piano teacher to 20 students (currently) ranging from 5-35 and beginning - late intermediate. I usually travel to my students' homes and teach lessons there. Teaching piano lessons has been the source of some of my favorite experiences.
Epic Piano Lesson Moments:
- The time I turned around and realized that while I was teaching, the 3 year old had colored in permanent marker on every cushion of the couch, on the rug, and on the carpet. I had been in the same room as him the entire time and didn’t notice a thing. (at least you know I focus on my students, right?)
- The time a student totally ratted out her dad and all the bad words he says.
- The time my student and I played a piano, beat-box duet.
- The time a family fed me authentic central African food after my lesson. They wanted to share something unique to their family with me. I was super honored and it was So good!
- While teaching a family of four children, every child stopped sometime during their lesson to comment on the picture slideshow screensaver going on in the background. It was pretty funny how easily distracted they were. Their father comes in to ask me a question. Mid sentence, he stops "I took that picture." and then proceeds. I guess I know where they got it from.
- 7 year old boy: (putting his fingers in his mouth) “Yuck! I know why my fingers taste gross! I forgot to wash my hands after I pooped!” (after he played on the same piano I did…)
- (Same boy) came up with a mnemonic device to help him remember the order of notes: Allison (his twin sister) Can Eat Garbage.
(One of the activities I do with my students is “play a
story”. I narrate a story while they try
to convey the story through the piano.
This has led to some really interesting compositions.)
- Another 7 year old boy made up a ninja song involving his fingers positioned like people, jumping around fighting each other, and ending in an untimely death. (It actually sounded like the story he was trying to tell).
- A 9 year old boy wrote a song about going to school and then being chased by teachers who turned into zombies.
- Another 9 year old boy decided that the pirate song he was playing was too “upbeat” for a pirate song, so he transposed it from D Major to G minor. No big deal…
- A 5 year old asked me to play Fur Elise (a simplified version, but 4 books ahead of his level) for him, then sat down and after only a few tries played it back to me.
- The week after teaching her different value notes (quarter note, half note, eighth note, and whole note), a 7 year old girl presented me with iron on beads that she had made into each of the notes. (Totally awesome! 1. She remembered what was taught and applied it in a new way. And 2. She made me presents! ).
- I have a 15 year old girl that makes the funniest noises when she plays, especially when she is concentrating or messes up. It’s not consistent, but sometimes it sounds like “mmm- mmm” (second part almost a desperate squeal).
I love teaching piano and am quite attached to my students. They remind me what is important and make my
days amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment