Friday, November 30, 2012

The Wal-Mart Greeter and the Dangerous Donut

(This adventure is dedicated to Pat – an official NPR gas consult and someone who has joined me in many adventures.  Love you!)

1.     When I was 16(?) I was in charge of a church activity.  Donuts were requested for the refreshment.  Not wanting to shop on Sunday, I decided to make them.  Note: this was a first time attempt.  (Those never end well…).
As I was lowering the donut into the hot oil, using only my fingers (I don’t know why I couldn’t use a spoon...  This story could also fit into the category of “not so brilliant moments”.) I ended up submerging my entire hand in the deep fryer.  Yep.
After consulting the nurse practitioner, I went to the meeting.  I just happened to be conducting, so I stood up with authority and pretended like it was perfectly normal to carry around a large cup of ice water and submerge one’s entire hand.  Everybody’s doing it…


2.    In most countries a proper greeting consists of addressing the person and then the person repeats the same greeting back.  For example, “Hello”, “Hello” or “Hola”, “Hola” or if you’re in Hawaii, you can delay your repetition until you are ready to leave and it still works.  Being a polite individual, there was only one proper response to the man who greeted me at Wal-Mart.  He said “Welcome” and I said….

It was actually pretty funny.  My friend punched me in the arm.  “You idiot!  You just welcomed the welcome guy!”  It’s all good.  I think I made his (the Walmart employee’s) day. 

By the way, I once overheard a roommate talking on the phone to her mom about me “I love her to death, but sometimes I just don’t know how she gets through the day…”  That’s about right… 

No comments:

Post a Comment