Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Olympian and the Vodka Soda (Part 2- Random Friends)



While I’m thinking about random airplane friends, I have to mention James. 
So I’m on a plane from AZ to NC (where I would catch another flight to DC).  I have a middle seat.  Oh boy…
Side note: I’m really not a super outgoing person and I am perfectly content to quietly occupy myself  (really), but I am not afraid of people and I try to embrace unique opportunities and situations. 
After a couple vodka sodas, the man on my left (the aisle seat) started to loosen up and we ended up talking and googling random things on his Ipad (like Javelina… R.O.U.S.’s. They exist.  I’ve seen them.).  It turns out we have both been to the same remote island off of Honduras (tiny, reachable by motor boat, beautiful white sand; perfect place for snorkeling or scuba diving).  It really is not that common.  We used google earth to make sure it was the same one.  He had never used Google Earth before!  (Which turned into a whole other conversation/ tangent).
I could tell James didn’t usually talk about himself to strangers (almost in a humble way), but I learned that he is a neuro-surgeon and a former Olympic ski jumper (from the 80’s and yes, I googled him to check).  Close to the end of our trip he commented that he flies all the time and has never had such fun nor connected with another passenger as he did on this trip (and no, he was not hitting on me.  He talked about his daughter and wife throughout our conversation).  I genuinely felt like we had become friends. 
Side note, our flight was kind of ridiculous.  First of all, the only open spot for my bag was 10(ish) rows behind us.  Then, as we were landing, the runway was full so we looped around the airport three times before we actually landed, starting to descend and then randomly speeding up and ascending again.  So now super late, instead of wondering what I was going to do between flights, I was now wondering if I was going to make my layover at all.  James concocted a plan to help me.  As soon as the seat belt light went off, he hopped out of his seat ran to the back and grabbed my bag from overhead.  Meanwhile, I grabbed his ipad (rare trust between strangers, right?).  We switched outside, then he led the way to my gate (The original plan was to show me the admiral’s lounge and stop for free food, but there was no time.).  He parted the crowds like Moses.   
If that doesn’t count as a friendship, I don’t know what does…
 P.S.  My flight ended up being rescheduled for hours later.  Of course it did…

No comments:

Post a Comment